On our second experience for Pledge 1%—a global movement that encourages companies to donate 1% of their time, profit, product, or equity—we decided to work with GlobalMedic, a registered Canadian charity that has provided disaster relief and life-saving humanitarian aid since 2002.
Who Is GlobalMedic And What They Do
The David McAntony Gibson Foundation, which operates as GlobalMedic, saves lives by providing short-term, rapid response in the wake of disasters and crises, both at home and abroad. Professional emergency workers along with other professional and skilled volunteers help deliver their programs to the people who need them most.
While GlobalMedic has run many non-emergency and capacity-building programs, the majority of their work continues to be critical intervention in the wake of disaster and crisis. GlobalMedic operates 6 primary Emergency Programs:
- Water: Deployment and operation of ‘point of source’ or ‘community’ water purification systems to ensure groups have access to large volumes of clean drinking water. GlobalMedic also runs hygiene programs to support the health of those facing emergencies.
- Food: Production and delivery of Emergency Food Kits designed to provide families with an easy-to-make, ready-to-cook meal option.
- RescUAV: GlobalMedic’s RescUAV Program uses sophisticated technology to collect important information fast following a disaster. Their specialty team deploys Unmanned Aerial Vehicles into disaster situations to collect this information. The UAVs are used to provide situational awareness, emergency mapping, and search and rescue.
- Flood: GlobalMedic works to aid those affected by flooding in Canada using a multi-pronged approach to support both flood mitigation and recovery.
- Medical: Donation and setup of field hospitals to restore access to medical care in a disaster or crisis-affected region.
- Shelter: Provision of tents and inflatable units that are used for temporary family housing, schools, child-friendly spaces, and even animal rescues.
App Solve In Action
Apart from providing clean water, GlobalMedic runs hygiene programs to support the health of those facing emergencies.
In this opportunity, we helped GlobalMedic in the assembling and final packing of family hygiene kits containing full-sized items including soaps, toothpaste, and toothbrushes to be given to vulnerable communities.
“This volunteer experience allows us to bond with each other around a cause which is aligned with the company’s values and vision,” says David Brabrook, CEO & Founder of App Solve.
“I am really happy we chose GlobalMedic to work with this quarter. It feels great to contribute to our community and help those who are in need,” says Natalia Monsalve, Digital Presence Coordinator at App Solve.
We want to thank Laura Garrioch, Emergency Programs Officer from GlobalMedic, and the rest of her team, for this opportunity to help our community. Thank you for letting us contribute to your amazing work!
GlobalMedic relies on donations and volunteers in order to carry out its mandate. Visit globalmedic.ca to join their team by volunteering, or making a donation. You can help make a difference in the lives of people affected by disaster and conflict.